Thursday, April 30, 2009

Jury Duty

Kind of a funny little thing that happened to me the other day was that I was chosen for jury duty. I've only even been summoned once before and that was when I was just out of high school. It was a DUI case, and I they dismissed me since I was a Mormon (didn't drink at all and thus biased against people who do drink) and since I was the SADD club president in high school. However, THIS time, even though I was 33 weeks pregnant, I couldn't find a single reason to ask to be excused from the jury of a trial involving a stolen vehicle. Long story short, once I was chosen and it took me an hour to get home from downtown Phoenix I was SO annoyed that I was cursing my own honesty. However, by the time I showed up the morning of the trial, I had taken my own advise to "Suck it up!!" and was ready to do my civic duty. When I arrived, one of my fellow jurors (a middle-aged blonde with an obvious need to share EVERYTHING) starts telling us all about how she had sat outside the courthouse right next to the defendant, who was clutching his bible and telling his significant other that he "just shouldn't have taken those keys." Needless to say, once the judge heard about it, there was a quick mistrial, and I was back home within three hours. Now I am SAFE for 24 months!! HALLELUIAH!!

1 comment:

Kelli said...

Thank goodness for the big-mouthed defendent and juror! Woo hoo!