Thursday, March 3, 2011

What I Learned From Dr. House

So earlier today Ammon and I got stuck on the couch watching a few reruns of "House." One of the episodes struck me a little to the core. I couldn't possibly repeat any of the medical jargon but basically a man had lost his ability to filter his thoughts. He told the absolute, unedited truth. We didn't even see the end of it, but there was a point in the episode when the doctors thought they had figured it out but wouldn't do anything because the man had such a slim chance of living through the surgery to fix the problem. Essentially the man went to House and practically begged him to do the surgery because of how negatively it had effected his wife and daughter. There was a chance they would never want to be around him again if he wasn't fixed. He would rather die than not be able to control what he said.

I thought about this a little. Being a pregnant woman, I tend to have a much looser filter than normal. However, I still can feel and regret the impact of what I have said. As a general rule, truth is definitely the way to go. However, I think there is a lot to be said for kindness and respect. In Sunday School the other day, there was a discussion based around "How can you tell a true disciple of Christ?" Ultimately I got the impression that most people in the group agreed that is was based on the way that person treated others. Obviously only Heavenly Father can know each of our hearts, but I would hope and pray that overall I give off the impression of being a disciple of Christ.

1 comment:

RHulsey said...

Well I for one think you do.