Thursday, July 16, 2009

Memoires of a Geisha

As mentioned in my previous post, I've been trying to read more. Since this is filling quite a bit of my time I figured I might as well blog about the books i have read. This last week was Memoires of a Geisha by Arthur Golden. I really enjoyed the movie and thankfully it followed the basic storyline of the book very well. One of the intriguing things about this novel is that it is written as though the main character were telling a story to a translator. At first I honestly believed this was a real person, which made the story that much more genuine. The author is an American man who has studied Asian cultures and languages all his life, so it is even more impressive to me how detailed everything was. Such a foreign perspective for him and he made it SO real. It was definitely an escape from my every day activities and I would give it a four out of five! Any suggestions for further reading would be greatly appreciated!

4 comments:

LlamaMama said...

The Chronicles of Narnia series is kind of fun, and there are seven of those. Also by CS Lewis is "The Screwtape Letter," which is interesting if you consider it's kind of an insight into how Satan and his minions might think/work. Also, if you're wanting some enjoyable books about being an LDS mom/woman, Emily Watts is very good. She's an editor for Deseret Book. I have three of her books: "Being the Mom: 10 Coping Strategies I Learned By Accident Because I had Children on Purpose," "Take Two Chocolates and Call Me in the Morning," and "Confessions of an Unbalanced Woman."

I have all of the above that I've recommended, so just let me know if you want to borrow them.

Liz said...

My recommendations (obviously) start with The Work and The Glory...but I am rereading them again. Devin liked The Kingdom and the Crown (same author but with Jesus time). I would also suggest just reading the Book of Mormon (not studying it - just reading it like a book...)

I would be interested in starting some kind of "blog book club" for the classics as well. I don't even know the names of the classics...so I like what you are doing here. Good job!

LlamaMama said...

A blog book club might be kind of fun. I did a short search and found a pretty good list of classic novels at

http://www.cincinnatilibrary.org/booklists/?id=classics

There are a little over 40 books on the list.

Kelli said...

Wow...you are all kinds of cultured. I haven't read either of those books...but I would be very interested in a book club!!

I've been reading Elizabeth Aston books. She writes books that are parallel to Jane Austen's time...and even uses some of Jane Austen's characters as distant relatives. They are a bit fluffy...but I've enjoyed them. I have lent them to a friend...but when I get them back I would be happy to lend them to you, if you are at all interested.