Thursday, July 16, 2009

My Wrath... My Grapes of Wrath

So lately my time has been filled with watching movies I've borrowed from family or reading books I've borrowed from the library. When you spend 6-8 hours a day feeding a newborn there's little else that can really fill your time, right? Anywho, so I've made a list of books that I've been wanting to read, either because they were good movies (and books are always better than movies) or because they are considered classics and I need to culturize myself... like yogurt. I thought it would be good to read a story about the Great Depression to make me feel a little better about our financial struggles. Obviousy the Grapes of Wrath is a perfect fit: Depression and a classic... Well, I mixed up the title with Great Expectations, so when I got to the library and grabbed the novel by Charles Dickens, my mind kept trying to tell me, "Dickens was a British author in the 17 or 1800's, why and how would he write about America during the Depression?" but I didn't listen. When I got home and read the synopsis for Great Expectations, needless to say I was a little frustrated with myself. Eventually, with the help of family I was able to discover it was actually The Grapes of Wrath that I wanted... so when I went to the library yesterday, I went straight to the Steinbeck section and low and behold, they don't have the Grapes of Wrath!!! What the?!?!? They have four shelves dedicated to Danielle Steel, but they don't have the Grapes of Wrath?!!? Stupid book, I don't want to read it now anyway!

1 comment:

LlamaMama said...

Did you check to see if it was at a different library that you could request be brought to your library? (ie: City of Mesa library district will transfer books between locations, so will Maricopa library district).

That is weird, though. You'd think they'd have a classic!