Thursday, July 9, 2009

Da Thumb


Since I have known him, Ammon's pet peeve has always been thumb-suckers! He has ranted on about it since we got pregnant that "Our child won't be a thumb-sucker!!" I'm not particularly a fan of it, but hadn't really made my opinion yet since all babies are different. Some prefer the thumb, some prefer the binky and others do fine without either or with some other item... Well, it finally happened... we took Kaleb's mittens off and what do you think he did...

Ammon's hoping that he will poke himself in the eye enough times that he will associate pain with the thumb... I'm not holding my breath though!

4 comments:

Liz said...

Tell Ammon to focus his "No Son of Mine is ever gonna..." for something more important then sucking his thumb. It really isn't a big deal! By all means don't encourage, but with his genetic makeup he might just be so stubborn because he can.

He will be fine and you will also be fine if you don't sweat the small stuff.

LlamaMama said...

Eh, at this young age he hasn't even realized his hands are attached to his body and that he has control over them yet. It's all about exploration (ooh! that feels cool!) and doing what comes naturally (the sucking reflex).

Mia has realized that she likes a binky when it's time to go to sleep, but she still sucks her thumb when she's tired and there's no binky around. It's kind of her way of saying, "hey! put me to bed!"

And, like you said, every kid is different.

Kelli said...

Hey...it's a natural self-calmer. I say use it. No sense in always trying to find that stupid binky when your kid is throwing a tantrum.

Ruth said...

hehe, that's hilarious. Unfortunately our kids don't ask us if it's okay to do certain things (well, not at his age anyway). But trust me, if it is a choice between screaming at the top of his lungs all night or sucking his thumb, I'm sure Ammon would choose thumb sucking. Sometimes I wish Hunter would!